The Beginning

We all begin at the beginning. Sometimes we watch others walk this walk and feel as if they’ve always walked as they do now. They appear so confident and knowledgeable; their life appears successful and in full control. As if a tear were never shed.

But the truth is we all began at the beginning. We needed help but didn't know what kind. With no knowledge of what we were about to encounter, some jumped in with both feet and took off running as if they were in a competition. You can almost see them leap tall buildings in a single bound. Others dipped one toe in to test the water and quickly pulled their foot back only to dip the toe back in again an inth of a degree deeper. They knew they had to go into this pool but simply didn’t want to. Still others walked all the way around the outside of the pool to get to the other side, only to say that it wasn’t so hard. Of course not. They never actually waded through the deepest, scariest depths of the water. They try to handle it all on their own and make others feel as if they are wimpy or soft because they weep and grieve and struggle through the process and ask for spiritual and physical help. They will expound greatly on what they think they know, but can’t say what they personally felt or experienced or saw in their own inner circle. Others will continue to walk around and through, and all the while loudly proclaiming that they don't need any guidelines or help because it's not their problem. But they will complain just as loudly about the hand they've been dealt.

Someday, they will all have to go back to the beginning whether they plan to or not. If they haven't worked the program they simply won't get the results. Hopefully, when they do go back to the beginning, they will have a spiritual experience as a result of the steps they’ve taken and the light will go on. Maybe then, one hand will go up to God and the other hand will go out and firmly grasp another hand reaching out for help and finally they will really live One Day At A Time.



*All Pics Googled*

7 comments:

cw2smom said...

Great post Laura! I jumped right in my recovery, because I was desperate and knew there had to be another way. Even with the thought of Al Anon being a group...which petrified me, I realized that it was so much different than I ever imagined. It's funny..I've only been involved for a few months, and every time I think I am on the way and got it figured out...I get an episode of stinkin' thinkin' that proves to me I've strayed from the path. I sooooo need to stay on this road for true peace in my life! Blessings, Lisa

steveroni said...

Laura, this is worth reading twice. You are talking to me, a long-timer who needs always to be practicing our beautiful Twelve Steps.

It is the one place in my life I wish to remain forever--in that spiritual experience--which came as THE result of our program.
Thank you.

Pammie said...

Excellent!
Amen!
Bravo!

miss7721 said...

It really must be a greaat start to a new year for you with your son being clean. I'm sure you went through alot with him. I know because I put my family through alot. I fineally just left my family and one day was in a party store and saw a missing person flyer with my face on it. It took that for me to realize my family really did want to help. Anyway I wish you and your son a happy new year and I'll be reading yur blog. Thank you for reading mine.

Syd said...

Great analogy. I like this post a lot. I don't want to be one of the complainers about the hand that I've been dealt. I did jump into the program and was willing to do whatever it took to work on my recovery. I'm grateful for that. And for beginnings.

Lou said...

great post! Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Wait. What? said...

Laura wonderful post today - I so get it thank you!!!