The Maturing Process

Does the maturing process change an addicted or alcoholic person? I'm not sure about that but something is different with Cliff.

Our conversations are not all about him, if you know what I mean. Cliff's not asking for money, he's not whining about his situation or justifying his choices. No, our conversations instead are about life, about his future and relationships. He listens to me as well as makes sound statements about himself. I know he's clean right now (and some may think that's because he's incarcerated but he could use in there too and isn't) and that certainly puts a different light on life but I believe Cliff is a changed man. He's calmer, he's listening and many times before while locked up there was a great deal of anger, but this time, I don't hear anger. That's a milestone to be sure!

Tuesday is Cliff's 28th birthday. I think he's really getting tired of this life. He's remorseful for all the past and lost years, but knows that he still has a shot at changing his life and starting fresh again. I know God's hand has been on Cliff's life repeatedly when I go over the situations and results of his choices. God knows there's also so much more I don't know that I've been shielded from! Come to think of it, God's hand has been on my life too. Thank you, Lord.

Anyway, something is different with Cliff and it's a positive difference. Today I'm in a content and peaceful state of mind and I'm going to eat blueberry pancakes and drink coffee and be thankful.

Keep growing Cliff...it's a good, good thing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

More then "many" times, I should have been where Cliff is, celebrating my 18th, 28th, 38th, or 40th birthday, PERIOD

Why I'm not in prison--or worse off--I'll never know...but God's hand is everywhere, and He loves us ALL equally, (that's 100%, 'cause God cannot DO anything 50%).

May He bless you..and Cliff, today.

Laura said...

"but God's hand is everywhere, and He loves us ALL equally, (that's 100%, 'cause God cannot DO anything 50%)."

Amen, steveroni. Thank you!

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Happy birthday to Cliff. Happy anniversary of becoming a mother to you. And continued growth to both of you! :)

Anonymous said...

It's probably a little bit of both, Laura. With age comes some maturity...or at least that's how it's supposed to work. My maturity has never correlated with my age. I believe it's because of how I kept myself bound with addiction. As all of the layers of ugliness begin to melt away, I find that there is someone inside of me that's worthy of love. When I was ready for God's hand to work miracles in my heart, I began to let go of being so self-centered. I'm keeping you and Cliff in my prayers. Happy birthday to him!

Lou said...

Every day without drugs is closer to the child you know. He has had a lot of days to renew the person he is and can be.
It's wonderful you know in your heart some changes have taken place. Now you can dare to hope.

Unknown said...

I hope and pray for both cliff and you.

ttt said...

I hope for his sake and yours that he really is going through a change. Time will tell, right? S is kind of in a somewhat good place at the moment, while living in the shelter, but I am so gun shy...afraid to get my hopes up.

I am grateful though because he is clean at the moment.